St Ann's Presbyterian Church On the other side of the crossing, to the right, is St Ann's Presbyterian Church.Many early settlers in the area were Scots and St Ann's, built in the late 1830s and still holding services today, is said to be the oldest Presbyterian Church on mainland Australia.
It was demolished and the material moved to the current site and rebuilt as the Court House Hotel.
That building was badly damaged again by flood and then fire in the 1930s and, in 1960, the manager's wife was burned to death in another fire.
The river trade began to decline in the 1850s as the road to Maitland improved. In its heyday Paterson had four stores, five hotels, two shipyards, a sawmill, a tannery, four blacksmiths, two butchers, a bakery and a boarding school for girls.
By the time the railway arrived in 1911 the long-term decline of river transportation had taken its toll.
By 1818 there were known to be eight farms along the river, six of them belonging to convicts.
The first land grant in the area was made to Captain William Dunn in 1821 on land by the river to the south of the town.Paterson (including Woodville) Tiny village on the Paterson River Paterson is a tiny but attractive little hamlet settled amidst mountains on the Paterson River which has its source in Barrington Tops to the north.The main road and trainline twist through this village which is located 175 km north of Sydney and 18 km north of Maitland.It was below this point that the town's original wharf stood.The views from the roadside here are very pleasant.As a sign of the Scottish highland presence and of altered folk traditions, the church's first teacher had to be skilled in Gaelic grammar.